Welcome to the "First Years Focus' and Fire" blog!

Welcome to the "First Years' Focus and Fire" blog! 
Professor Fiander a.k.a. "Prof. F"
My name is Professor Fiander and I am one of the Senior Full Time Faculty members in the Photographic Imaging Department at The Art Institute of Pittsburgh Online Division.  I'd like to take a moment and introduce myself to you and explain what this blog will be about. 

I'm a native of the Washington D.C. area.  I attended Lynchburg College in Virginia and received my B.F.A in Studio Art and in English.  I relocated to Portland, Maine in 2005 and studied documentary photography at The Salt Institute for Documentary Studies.  After completing the program at Salt, I began my graduate studies at Maine College of Art and received my M.F.A. in Studio Art with a concentration in photography and video.  Once I had completed my studies, I started up my own freelance photography business, dubbed "Fiander Foto". 

I hosted and curated my first short film festival called "The Fiander Film Festival" in February of 2012, a sold out event that was held at The Dunes in Northwest Washington D.C.  Artists and directors from all over the US, England, Italy, and Bermuda were screened at the festival including one of my more recent videos done in collaboration with a Bermudian artist, Jim West, titled Heartbeats.  Directors with many different levels of experience in film entered their pieces into the Fiander Film Festival.  Some of the films seen in my festival were also screened at the 2011 Sundance Film Festival, SXSW Festival, LA Skate Film Festival, the Catskill Film Festival and the Anchorage International Film Festival.  Plans are currently in effect for the next Fiander Film Festival so stay tuned!  The event will occur biannually. 

I have also shown my work at the Portland Museum of Art, Jason Simon's One Minute Film Festival, The Institute for Contemporary Art at MECA, The Salt Institute for Documentary Studies, Space Gallery, The Drawing room and Constellation Gallery in Portland, Maine.  My work has been published in United with Love Blog, The Photo Review, On Tap Magazine and The Blue Room

So what's the purpose of this blog you ask?  ...I'll tell you... 

This blog is intended to reach out to students at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh Online Division who are in their first few years of the program: Certificate, Associates and Bachelors.  For example, if you are taking PH123, PH124, PH133, PH136, etc... this blog is intended just for you and what you'll be learning in those courses.  That being said, if you have bypassed those courses and are looking for a "refresher" or some "inspiration", you are more than welcome to "hang out" and enjoy the blog too!

Typically, a post might include information on a photographer whom I think could be inspiring to your own work.  I might also post a blog that is a "how to" tutorial.  I will also be introducing you to many websites that can also help you as you move through our programs at AiP Online.  I envision three posts a week on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.  Each of these days will have a general theme: 
  • "Make It Mondays" = Tutorials, Advice for Class, Photography Tips, History of Photo
  • "Website Wednesdays" = Introduction to Educational and Inspirational Websites
  • "Pho·tog Fridays" = Learn About New Photographers
Enjoy!
First

Disclaimer

See aiprograms.info for program duration, tuition, fees, and other costs, median debt, federal salary data, alumni success, and other important info. The information and opinions expressed and/or any artwork displayed herein represent the independent opinions and ideas of the individual faculty (Melanie Fiander) and do not represent the opinions or ideas of The Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division. The Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any Web site linked to this Web site/newsletter. The links are provided for your information and convenience only. The Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division does not endorse, support or sponsor the content of any linked Web sites. If you access or use any third party Web sites linked to The Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division Web site, you do so at your own risk. The Art Institute of Pittsburgh makes no representation or warranty that any other Web site is free from viruses, worms or other software that may have a destructive nature.