Website Wednesday: Snapseed App

My mid-week posts are typically written about a particular website although today, I'd like to talk about a specific app.  This amazing app is called "Snapseed" and it was developed by Nik Software. This app is currently available for Androids, iPads, and iPhones.  There is also a desktop program for both Mac and PC.  

You might be thinking, "An app? What? As a professional photographer, I only shoot with my DSLR".  If you own a smart phone, your next thought might be: "Well, I take my serious photos with my DSLR and my fun photos I take with my smart phone".  All those who had this thought, raise your hand.  My own hand is definitely raised as I've had this same thought many times.  When I'm working for a client or when I'm working on a photo essay, I'll shoot with my DLSR.  That being said, I do not take my DSLR with me everywhere I go although I'm constantly thinking about my next shot.  Most of the time, I find myself using my iPhone for the "fun" photos.  Finally, I started to ask myself these questions: "why not make my 'fun' photos look just as awesome as my serious photos?" 


There are a ton of apps out there that are geared towards editing photographs.  Some of these apps not only allow you to edit the image but also allow you to share the image with family, friends and clients.  (Instagram users... I'm lookin' at you!)  Snapseed is without a doubt the best editing app currently on the market.  Why use the same filter that everyone else is using when you can create your own?  Check out the video to the right; this will give you a basic "run down" of the app and what it has to offer.   

I have found that this app forces me to think about editing all day verses only when I'm working in Photoshop.  Each day, I find myself thinking about the color within my image - regardless as to what type of camera I shot the image with.  I'll adjust the brightness, ambiance, saturation, grain, and contrast.  If needed, I'll crop the photo or convert it to Black and White.  In many cases, I need to make a selective adjustment to darken one corner of the picture; Snapseed does all of that and much more.  Check out the list of Adjustments and Creative Enhancements this app offers: 





I would encourage you to download this app and try it out!  It's a good way to exercise your "photo eyes"!  And... it's free!  Click here to learn more about the app.

01. "Mobile." Snapseed.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 25 July 2013.
02. "Snapseed: App Overview." YouTube. YouTube, 06 June 2011. Web. 25 July 2013.

Disclaimer

See aiprograms.info for program duration, tuition, fees, and other costs, median debt, federal salary data, alumni success, and other important info. The information and opinions expressed and/or any artwork displayed herein represent the independent opinions and ideas of the individual faculty (Melanie Fiander) and do not represent the opinions or ideas of The Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division. The Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any Web site linked to this Web site/newsletter. The links are provided for your information and convenience only. The Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division does not endorse, support or sponsor the content of any linked Web sites. If you access or use any third party Web sites linked to The Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division Web site, you do so at your own risk. The Art Institute of Pittsburgh makes no representation or warranty that any other Web site is free from viruses, worms or other software that may have a destructive nature.